What is family literacy?
Family literacy involves the whole family in learning activities. This includes reading but also other fun activities like puzzles, games, and arts and crafts. Family literacy strengthens family relationships and encourages learning.
Why is family literacy important?
- Children spend more time outside the classroom than inside, making family literacy important to their learning (The Read-Aloud Handbook, Jim Trelease, 2006).
- Parents’ education has a bigger impact than salary on their children going to college or university (Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario, 2011).
- A mother’s reading skill is more important than neighbourhood or income in determining her children’s success in school (National Institute of Health, 2010).
*Source: ABC Life Literacy
What is Family Literacy Day
Family Literacy Day raises awareness of the importance of family literacy. An added perk – life becomes more fun and family bonds are reinforced!
Family Literacy Day was started in 1999 by ABC Life Literacy.
Join the Fun!
Saturday, January 28 from 10am to 12pm
(You can stay as long as you want or just drop by and say hello and grab some worksheets to take home).
- Children’s book author Richard Dagenais will read from his books (English)
- Arts & crafts (French & English)
- Handouts to take home (French & English)
Register Here (or Drop-in!)
Family Literacy Day Theme – Celebrate Your Heritage
This year’s theme is Celebrate Your Heritage. “Heritage” is the traditions, stories, and culture of our family.
There are many different cultures in Canada and this Family Literacy Day is a great opportunity to learn more about your family with your family.
Children’s Book Author Richard Dagenais
Richard Dagenais is a multi-talented host, anchor, reporter, announcer, journalist, writer, actor, and musician working in Montreal. Over the years, he has worked at CFCF, CHOM-FM, CHOM/CKGM, CJAD, Global TV, and most recently, MAtv’s City Life.
He has written and published six rhyming, read aloud, picture books which can be found in stores such as Librairie Clio, Babar Books, Indigo Pointe-Claire, Indigo Laval, Indigo Place Montreal Trust, Coles Angrignon and Singing Pebbles bookstore in Ottawa.
Literacy Unlimited’s Recommended Activities and Resources for Family Fun
We have a list of fun activities and resources for all ages from babies to teens. Click here to go to the page.
There are many online and in-person events for Family Literacy Day, and ABC Life Literacy has them on their website. We will have handouts of the activities at our event, which you can do at the event or take home with you.